Discernment Counseling for Couples on the Brink of Divorce
Help For Couples On the Brink of Divorce
“We tried couple’s counseling. It didn’t work. We don’t want to divorce, but at this point, we don’t feel like we have a choice.”
This unfortunate sentiment is often expressed by divorcing couples. Couples who are considering divorce may look to traditional couple’s counseling for help. This choice may not be ideal and can delay the inevitable, while draining the bank account, and still end in divorce court.
Discernment Counseling is a better option. Let me explain. The purpose of traditional couple’s counseling is to build intimacy. When you’re married and considering divorce, intimacy building may be the last thing you need.
Discernment Counseling is a new intervention created to help couples make good decisions. Being married or not married is arguably most consequential and potentially life-altering. Discernment Counseling offers an environment for a complete exploration of one or both partner’s ambivalence.
Partners often have different agendas. One partner wants to stay married, the other wants to divorce. In Discernment Counseling, both perspectives are respected. Nobody is pressured or made to feel guilty for where they are.
Discernment Counseling helps you:
- Gain clarity about what got you to the point of considering divorce,
- Define three possible paths for moving forward, and
- Have confidence in your choice.
How do I know if Discernment Counseling is for us?
- If one or both partners is unsure about continuing in the relationship and don’t want to do traditional couple’s counseling,
- There’s been an affair or infidelity,
- You want to want to stay married,
- You’re ready to make a firm decision if it is or isn’t fixable,
- One person is enthusiastic about repairing things, the other person has one foot out of the door.
Does Discernment Counseling make me obligated to stay and make it work?
- No, it’s an agreement to transparency. Discernment Counseling is a statement of your willingness to show up, be honest about what you will and won’t do, and state what you want and don’t want.
Call Me Today at (310) 265-6644